> > > >

1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 101 (89)

1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition
1947-48 Theatre Catalog
1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 101
Page 101

1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 101

The Town Theatre, latest theatre venture of Isador M. Rappaport, returns to the theatre field what was first builtopopsite the cityis oldest house. Ford'sas the Palace, later transmogrified into a garage. The new house, opening early last year, is, from its terra cotta front (see picture on page 87) to the proscenium, an unusual house from an architectural standpoint. The plans of John J. Zink included not only few straight lines, other than vertical ones, but a proscenium treatment seen thus far only in Baltimoreis New Theatre (see pages 129 to 144 of the 1946-47 edition) and Toronto's Odeon-Fairlawn Theatre (see pages 78 to 80, this edition).

The latest in projection and sound, air-conditioning and other items of equipment has gone into the house, as well as the newest ideas in art and interior decoration and the blending of color schemes and the creation of an illusion of intimacy. Here one finds serpentine walls, indirect lighting, panels of back-lighted corrugated glass, and modernistic are creations in metal.

In the matter of materials and design, the theatre followed the owner's ideas to make a "different" cinema.

The Town, which Rappaport operates in association with the Hippodrome and Little Theatres, opened as a first-run cinema, operating on a continuousshowing basis, from 10 olclock in the morning.

IN THEI AUDITORIUM, the shaping of the border lines. and a central path ot light running trorn screen to the back at the house, combine to bring the screen close to the patron. The walls are finished above' the shoulder-high dado with acoustical plaster. The screen curtain is a shade ot mulberry. A Bach composition is on each wall near the screen, and are symbolic of the industry.
1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 101