Drive-Ins.com
> > > >

1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 108 (96)

1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition
1947-48 Theatre Catalog
1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 108
Page 108


1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 108

A 950-Seat Cinema Comes to Oklahoma City's Packing Town District

The Agnew Theatre

The Agnew, owned and operated by the Griflith Theatres, was designed as a 950-seat cinema for the population of the packing-town district of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, with Jack Corgan the architect.

Facing two streets, with the box otiice at the apex of the intersection, the marquee is constructed so program boards may be read from either street.

The exterior of the theatre is dominated by a tall, pylon-like tower faced with porcelain enamel, with the name of the theatre accented by the use of the five letters as separate units of porcelain enamel multi-lined with neon tubing. The night view of the same elevation shows how the tower is well illuminated with

THE AGNEW THEATRE, a suburban house in the packinqetown area oi Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, was designed by Jack Corgan tor Griffith Theatres. The exterior is dominated by a tall. pylon-like tower of porcelain enamel, with the name of the theatre accented by the porcelain enamel

the name of the theatre emblazoned on the front, and all rising from a brilliantly lit marquee and the two program boards, each with its three lines of changeable letters. In design, the tower has been made to appear as rising from the island box office as its base, an aspect especially noticeable in the daytime picture.

The foyer is comparatively plain in decoration, yet attractive through the use of a tessellated arrangement of rubber tile as the floor surfacing and the indirect neon lighting from a serpentine trough around a portion of the perimeter of the area. In a recess, on the right entering the theatre, is the concession area of ample proportions, with a pop E*e ,,

corn machine and a large candy counter where three levels of display may be made in addition to whatever may be set out on top of the counter. Supplemental flush-set flood lighting is used over the selling area.

The auditorium, seating some 950 patrons on one iioor, is plain but attractive, with advantage being taken of the natural tile effect of the ceilings acoustical treatment. General illumination is provided by a series of downlights above the line of the two aisles and by neon cove lighting set into the screen side of the wall splays created to the betterment of the acoustic characteristic of the room. The proscenium area is simple but effectively draped and curtained.

letters, multi-lines with neon tubing, mounted on the tower. The night View (on page 97) shows the tower well illuminated, with the name of the theatre emblazoned on the front. The island box office, centered below the triangular marquee, seems to be the base of the tower.



THEATRE CATALOG 1947-48
1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 108