> > > >

1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 49 (37)

1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition
1947-48 Theatre Catalog
1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 49
Page 49

1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 49

Community Fitness Shown by an RKO Theatre near Trenton, N. J.

The Hamilton Theatre

The proper design of a cinema is always a tricky job; but, when the theatre is to become a prominent element of a community more residential than business, the task of the architect is considerably more exacting: he must not only design the theatre for the purpose of exhibiting motion pictures, but he must consider the "eternal fitneSS of things" and plan a structure which will blend physical attributes and the esthetic characteristics so that the theta tre will, from the start, be wholeheartedly accepted by the potential patronage. It is not an easy task, but it is always worthwhile.

How well this suiting the theatre to the community can be accomplished is exemplified by the Hamilton Theatre, a link in the RKO Theatres' chain opened

THE HAMILTON THEATRE, in Hamilton Township, near Trenton, New Iersey, bears witness to the Princeton Playhouse inlluence and the tendency to design theatres for residential areas so that the cinema will not only serve its ultimate purpose of public entertainment but Will, at the



a little over a year ago, in Hamilton Township, New Jersey, near Trenton. Indeed, so important did William I. Hohauser, architect, consider this project that he himself designed the entire decorative pattern and color schemes.

Situated on the corner of Broad Street

and Murdock Avenue, the Hamilton Theatre, 3 new suburban communitytype cinema, features a Neo-Colonial architecture throughout and embodies all the elements that provide for perfect entertainment, safety, and comfort. Set back from the landscaped lawn, structure is constructed of reinforced steel and steel trusses, with a roof of steel and pre-cast concrete planks and walls of brick and cinder-block faced with red brick. The columns, doors, frames, and trim are of wood, white-enameled for

glistening beauty. No marquee or signwork adorn the front: merely the theatre name spread upon the entablature of the colonnade and two one-sheet frames flanking the portico denominate the establishment as a theatre, the centrally located box office notwithstanding.

Special dedicatory ceremonies marked the opening of the theatre, with one of the highlights being the dedication of a Memorial Tablet honoring the young men of Hamilton Township who served during World War II.

As the theatre opened, the estimated 10,000 in the area were offered their cinematic fare-some of it in doublefeature programs#at 40 cents for adults, whether at an evening, Sunday, or Saturday matinee performance, and 25 cents

for children.

some time, reflect the spirit and temperament of the community. Thus, tor this capital suburb, the architect has adopted a Nee-Colonial motif, in exterior design no less than in interior appomtments. The columns. doors, and trames are at wood, finished in white enamel. Red brick is the tacmq.

ii: litii'ii
1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 49