> > > >

1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 53 (41)

1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition
1947-48 Theatre Catalog
1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 53
Page 53

1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 53

Thanks to Quonset, Frankenmuth, Michigan, Has Its First Theatre

The Ken Theatre

That the utilization of the Quonset arch-rib construction is no handicap on architectural ingenuity and design has not been better exemplified than with the Ken Theatre, owned-operated by Albert Wakeman, in Frankenmuth, Michigan. While the theatre here pictured is complete, it is planned to add a number of stores, even with the entrance, which will tend to mask the Quonset from the road.

Frankenmuthh a German industrial community of some 1,200 souls, mostly Lutheran, has never had a theatredven though the younger generation patronized the cinemas of nearby towns-and, had it not been for locating the project remote from churches and schools and using Quonset materials and Nuwood, the town might still be theatreless, for the CPA had turned down an application for a theatre of conventional cinder THE KEN THEATRE, Frankenmuth. Michigan.


eloquently proves that a cinema utilizing Quonset arch ribs lor the auditorium framework need not be constructed all on one axis, from box ottice to the rear emergency exits. While the theatre portion at the development is completed, tuture

block construction. At that, approval for a theatre structure not to exceed $10,000 was a year in coming, since Wakeman had had no theatre experience. Wakeman reports that everything ultimately worked to his advantage: that the utilization of the Quonset and Nuwood have given him a theatre of excellent acoustic properties, without echoes or deadspots, and, by providing parking space, comfortable seats, excellent sound, hearing aids, and other items, along with a series of pictures hand-picked to the interests and tastes of the community, he has been given the wholehearted backing of the whole population. Designed by I. A. Zakryzewski, the theatre, located on a lot 171 by 264 feet, will seat 496 in the Push-Back chairs of the Kroehler Manufacturing Company. The sign and marquee was constructed by Poblocki and Sons, with the change able letters by the Adler Silhouette Letter Company. The lower part of the front is faced with maroon enameled Kolokrite trimmed with ivory and yellow. In the box office will be found a Coinometer Corporation coin changer and General Register Corporationls Automaticket registers. A Golde Manufacturing Company ticket chopper is used. The equipment was procured through the "Ernie" Forbes Theatre Supply.

As the theatre opened on,September 19, 1947, on the outskirts of Frankenmuth, to serve an estimated population of 10,000 composed of farmers and industry workers, the policy was that of a first-run in the area with a top adult admission of 44 cents and 14 cents for children. In the first months of operation slapstick comedy seemed by far the type of picture best patronized.

plans call lor the erection 01 stores, even with the theatre tront, that will to a large extent mask oft the obviousness of the Quonset construction. Other pictures in this series will show how well the architect adapted his destgin and materials to a not uncommon size and shape at property.
1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 53