Drive-Ins.com
> > > >

1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 63 (51)

1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition
1947-48 Theatre Catalog
1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 63
Page 63


1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 63

Many Materials Combined for a Theatre in a Columbus, Ohio, Suburb

The Esquire Theatre

The lavish new Esquire Theatre is located at the threshold of Eastmoor, an exclusive residential suburb of Columbus, Ohio. The 1,000-seat cinema was designed for owner-operation by the Samson Operating Company.

The theatre, designed by the F and Y Building Service, is an imposing structure-a combination of buff brick, rough quarried limestone, five colors of terra cotta, a beautiful burgundy colored structural glass, and Bedford limestone. The modern design is unusual in that it has effectively used a combination of many varying materials in a very successful architectural study, achieving an outstanding result.

On the left half of the front elevation,

ON THE LEFT HALF of the [rent elevation, a multi-colored terra cotta garden wall has been erected in front of a terra cotta shaft rising to the root, teaturing a black and silver sylvan background. Over the entrance, the marquee is provided with specially lighted and ornamented nose.





1947-48 THEATRE CATALOG .

a multi-colored terra cotta garden wall has been erected in front of a terra cotta shaft rising majestically to the roof, featuring a black and silver sylvan background.

Over the entrance, an impressive marquee is provided with specially lighted and ornamented nose. Superimposed on the attraction boxes, which form the sides of the marquee, are two signs in channel letters with colored neon. Entrance doors are solid slabs of selected birch with oblong vision panels and specially designed aluminum push-bars.

To the right of the entrance doors, a completely equipped confection and popcorn stand is provided for the convenience of the patrons.



o

.' MIGHTY MCGURK

WALLACE amvm Maximum

ALSO BLONDIE KNOWS BEST

The entrance lobby sweeps in a graceful curve toward the left to a second foyer, entered through a series of six additional slab doors. The color scheme of the entrance lobby is a gray-green, with a wine-colored treatment of the dropped ceiling which features an indirect lighting trough.

Passing through six slab doors into a second foyer, one enters a room in which the ceiling has a mild peach field with a slate-blue dropped panel motif which covers three-fourths of the entire ceiling and conceals gold neon tubing.

Further details of the color schemes and credits for the materials used and equipment installed will be found in the captions.

Superimposed on the attraction boxes are two signs in channel letters with colored neon. The entrance doors are solid slabs oi birch with oblong. vision panels and especially desiqned aluminum push-bars. Attraction board and. changeable letters are manufactured by Wagner Sign Service, Inc.









,7, *' :wvulurww-hmxm
1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 63