Drive-Ins.com
> > > >

1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 96 (84)

1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition
1947-48 Theatre Catalog
1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 96
Page 96


1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 96

Stores Eliminated in Favor of Conveniences in a Dallas Remodeling

The Sunset Theatre

The Sunset Theatre, located at 1112 Hampton Road.in suburban Dallas, Texas, is now, after having changed hands, owned by Charles Brent and is under the management of Talmadge Colb. Brent also operates a theatre in Port Aruthur, Texas.

Using the basic structure of the old theatre, Brent designed the present Sunset Theatre. Twenty feet were added to the rear end of the building and additional height was added to the front to conform to the new design. Space formerly occupied by a beauty shop and another small store was incorporated into the plans and converted into rest rooms on one side of the foyer and the managerls office on the other side.

THE SUNSET THEATRE is a remodeled cinema.

Using the basic structure

at the old theatre. the new one was designed by adding 20 feet to the rear ob therstructure and an additional height added to the tront wall to conform with the new plan. Space on enner side at the entrance, for In the center of the lobby, positioned for easy access to patrons headed for the auditorium proper or the balcony, is a popcorn machine, standing on a spe cially surfaced portion of the floor. The machine can be operated by the doorman.

1n the auditorium the ceiling of acouse tical wall board is set from 4 to 8 feet from the roof, allowing space for attic ventilation and taking care of the acoustics. The old seats were removed and new ones installed: 695 in the auditorium proper and 85-in the balcony.

The entire theatre was decorated by R. V. Churchill, formerly of Massachusetts, who employed a floral mural motif through the theatre, especially in the auditorium and the lobby.

lt .V t lit ' . tag-{mana The ventilation system is simple and effective. The main part is provided by a blower placed on either side of the screen and placed directly in front of an evaporator set into the rear wall of the theatre. Since the blowers set directly behind the grilled vent to the auditorium, the arrangement eliminates a costly duct system for the equipment. A smaller evaporator and blower and an exhaust fan located in the attic complete the tiair-conditioning" system.

The smaller, auxiliary ventilation takes care of the projection room which is notable for its projectorseone a Greene and the other a Brackney, names new forgotten or unknown in a great segment of the cinema world.

merly occupied by a beauty shop and another store, was incorporated into the plans and converted into rest rooms on one side of the foyer and the manager's office on the other. The house will seat a total of 780 people, when 695 are in the auditorium and 85 are seated in the balcony.



THEATRE CATALOG 1947-48
1947-48 Theatre Catalog, 6th Edition, Page 96