> > > >

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 15 (5)

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition
1948-49 Theatre Catalog
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 15
Page 15

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 15

Drew Eberson

With a broad scope of education, activity and experience which includes architect-engineer, theatre designer, decorator, constructor, film director, and exhibitor-owner, Drew Eberson is well-equipped for his partnership

in the architectural firm of John and Drew Eberson.

Born on February 29, 1904, Drew was raised in a theatrical atmosphere when the motion picture industry was in its infancy. His fatheris activities as an architect with his clients and their problems had its influence in developing Drew,s desire for creative work which has since produced many outstanding achievements.

A graduate of Northwestern Military and Naval Academy and the School of Architecture at the University of Pennsylvania, while maintaining his architectural work under the direction of Dean Laird and the late Paul Cret, Drew joined his fathers firm with a full and comprehensive knowledge of almost all architectural design.

During his college career, Drew mixed the aesthetic architectural studies with practical building by working in architectural offices during the summer, and also working as a laborer in pouring concrete and supervising construction work in the field. Leaving college, he jumped in with his father in the building boom of 1926, and then, with a little more practical knowledge obtained in the construction field, left for an extensive tour of Europe, studying and sketching throughout Spain, Italy, Hungary, Germany, Switzerland, and England. At the completion of the tour, he returned to' the United States, and obtained his architectural license.

With the crash of 1929 curtailing architectural activities, Drew Eberson joined the New York offices of Warner Brothers Theatres, and served as an architect covering the important maintenance and retrenchment problems of the time.

Later, as an assistant director for Warner Brothers in Hollywood, he took part in the directing of many types of pietures; ttB,s,,, uAlslf, shorts, and even previews and talent tests; from pictures like uPenrod and Sam", "The Case of the Velvet Claws", and most of the UPerry Mason" series to important productions of the ttLight Brigadell, ttVarsity Showif, HFlirtation Walk", etc, class.

Such distinguished Hollywood notables as Paul Muni, Jimmy Cagney, Bette Davis, Dick Powell, and Ann Sheridan have worked in the spotlights and in front of the cameras which Drew Eberson helped to direct.

With the return of construction activity in the architectural field in the late 1930s Drew returned to the east, and again entered into active architectural practice as a full partner in John and Drew Eberson. During that period, he became interested in establishing a theatre for himself in Florida, and built and operated the Daytona, in Daytona Beach.

His present theatre designs reflect his insight of the management and ownership problems of his clients. Thus his experlence in theatre operation and exhibition as well as in the production and direction of more than 65 motion pictures, enables him to apply the knowledge gained in the past in combatlng the myriad problems which face the exhibitor of today.

At the start of World War II, he volunteered his services to the Corps of Engineers, was commissioned, and, through his devotion to duty and outstanding work, attained the rank of colonel in the U. S. Army. His stateside projects include; completion of Camp Kilmer, Camp Shanks, Belle Mead Quartermaster Depot, Somerville Quartermaster Depot, and several other projects, installations that. are worth much more than $220,000,000.


While overseas in the China-Burma-India theatre, Colonel Eberson served as Chief of Operations on many B-29 fields, the Burma Road, and many (tHUMPV ATC depots. He has received several valuable citations from the War Department for his extraordinary ability, services, and accomplishments.

After peace was declared, Drew returned to take his place once again as the ttwheel horset in the John and Drew Eberson organization. The Corps of Engineers kept its finger on Colonel Eberson by employing his firm in the design of several separation centers such as Fort Monmouth, N. J., a pressing need at that time. Drew Eberson continues to number the U.S. Governa ment as one of his important clients, and is now serving as consulting architect for major projects in the Canal Zone.

With the release of the theatre construction ban, he took over the big task of traveling to the far-off places, handling clients in Venezuela, Guatemala, and Cuba.

On Nov. 23, 1946, Drew and Peggy Latta were married beside the Pyramids in Mexico City, and are now living at Den Road, Stamford, Conn. Mrs Eberson is the daughter of another well-known family in show business, Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Latta, now managing director, Associated British Picture Corp., Ltd.

Drew is a member of the American Institute of Architects, New York Chapter; The Architectural League of New York, The New York Athletic Club, The Variety Club, Washington, and Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity, and takes active part in all.

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 15