> > > >

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 154 (143)

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition
1948-49 Theatre Catalog
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 154
Page 154

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 154

' Owner:


Fred Starch

Architect: Lucy and Son. Binghaml'on. N. Y.

Structurally, the glued laminated arch has proved its merit; decoratively, its possibilities are unlimited. Standing as it does on the threshold of a new career in the world of the moving picture theatre, the laminated wood unit offers designers the promise of a unique art in the decoration of the theatre interior.

On the banks of the Delaware in Callicoon, New York, the Harden Theatre has integrated the wooden arch into an interior decor of exceptional beauty. Here the typical semi-cylindrical form of auditorium is preserved but the arch, which in some adaptations projects into the auditorium space purposely, is almost entirely concealed. Only a shadow pattern suggests its presence as a functional member of the structure.

The ceiling and sidewalls have been finished with 12" white celotex tiles set in the same plane as the inmost side of the Rilco rafters, creating a rhythmic pattern of white space broken at regular intervals by areas of light brown celotex planking over the laminated rafters. Thus a novel decorative pattern has been formed by architectural understatement and an effective utilization of the arch has been developed.

The Harden Theatre, owned by Fred Starch, operated by H. D. English, and managed by Ray Dexter, Jr., opened in the main business section of Callicoon on July 8, 1948. Built on a plot of ground 52 feet by 140 feet, the Harden seats 514, charges 60 cents admission to first run pictures of which quality Westerns and musical comedies are the most popular items.

Exclusive of equipment, the Harden Theatre cost its owner about $40,000. For this investment, Fred Starch received a compact, sturdin constructed building ideally suited to the needs of the community which it serves.

Rilco rafters sheathed with Y.P. roofing form the shell of the auditorium. Roof asphalt shingles cover this framework and insulation for the auditorium is provided by rock wool bats. The floor and the foundation of the Harden are made of concrete, while the important front wall utilizes 16" cinder blockssome artfully recessed to form a simple but striking patternsfmished with white plasteron. Decorative woodwork on the front is painted maroon.

A large H at the front of the marquee is illuminated at night by cold cathode lighting. Above this literal symbol and atop a tower, a sign using letters two feet high spells out the name of the theatre. The marquee itself, although comparatively small, presents a large fund of information in its three rows of 10" red and blue translucent letters on three sides. The marquee is illuminated by pink, green and white cold cathode lighting. R 40 lights in the soilit serve as down lights.

After getting advance information on coming attractions from the 40" x 601' illuminated metal display signs, Harden


Theatre patrons walk up a slightly inclined concrete ramp to the dual entrance doors and, inside the lobby, find a fioor finished with maroon and green asphalt tiles laid patternwise and bounded on four sides by a border. In the foyer, to suggest a transition to silence, a red carpet takes the place of the floor tile. In both lobby and foyer, a leathergrained hard board forms the wall below the dado line while 12" celotex tile serves as both decorative and acoustical material in the area above the dado and on the ceiling.

A similar scheme is carried out in the auditorium, with the presence of the laminated wooden arches adding zest to the decorative effect. Below the dado line, plywood-close relative of the lam inated arch in its composition-forms,

the sidewalls; above the line, 12" white celotex tiling alternates with light brown celotex planking over the regularly spaced arches to give an attractive decor. The back wall above the dado line is made of standard celotex board. At the front end of the auditorium, the proscenium is finished in two shades of light brown celotex and plywood, this combination harmonizing with the color scheme of the sidewalls. On stage, the silver screen curtain is framed by a red plush contour curtain. This color scheme is continued in the red plush valances

over exit doors, red carpet and chairs, and the woodwork of the auditorium which is stained a blending shade of red.

Lounge and toilet rooms have sidewalls of prefinished light blue hard board and ceilings of panelled wall board. Floors are of maroon asphalt tile.

Equipment for the Harden was supplied by National Theatre Supply, A1bany, N. Y., ManagersW. J. Hutchins.


Acoustical Material: 12" Celotex Tile.

Carpets: Raddicliffe Wilton, by Thomas Leedom Company.

Chairs: Bodiform, by American Seating Co.

Curtain Controls and Track: Automatic Device Company.

Decorator: Bil-Art Studios, Inc.

Draperies and Stage Curtains: Bil-Art Studios, Inc.

Lighting Fixtures: Voight & Lightolier.

Rubber Mats: U. S. Rubber Company.


Changeovers: Dowser Manufacturing Corp.

Film Cabinets: Neumade Products Co.

Lenses: Coated, fast. Snaplite by Kollmorgen Optical Corp.

Projection Lamps: Strong-Hi, by Strong Electric Corp.

Projection Machines: Simplex E-7, by International Projector Corp.

Rectifiers: National, by Strong Electric Corp.

Rewinders: Hand and Automatic, by Goldberg Bros.

Screen: White plastic, by WalkervAmerican Corp.

Sound: Simplex E-7 by International Projector Corp.

Display and Boxoffice Equipment

Display Frames: Sealuxe. by Universal Corp.

Sign and Marquee: Leray and Company.

Sign Letters: Blevelite, by Theatre Specialties, Inc.

Ticket Issuing Machine: Trigger Action, by General Register Corp.

Ticket Chopper: GoldE Mfg. Co.

Vending Machines: Popcorn, by Manley; Candy Case, by Columbus Cabinet.

THE HARDEN THEATRE is a good example of modern functional design and crlislic theatre construction within a modest budget. Although the iinished marquee is not shown, the stark simplicity oi line and the unusual elfectiveness of rows of plastered cinder blocks are readily apparent.
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 154