> > > >

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 23 (13)

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition
1948-49 Theatre Catalog
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 23
Page 23

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 23

which had been built from the backbone of its founder, held together even during the lowest business ebbs. Members of its backbone like Alex Mercil, A. C. Liska, and Mary Mulligan remained with the firm until the years of full and plenty returned. As more money was returned to circulation, old clients, who had never forgotten the famous Eberson reputation, returned to commission the firm in the construction of theatres that were destined to surpass anything preViously done. Many new clients came to the Ebersons in search of assistance in construction of new theatres. An entirely new era had been entered.

Prosperity g r a d u a 1 l y returned


THE OLYMPIA THEATRE BUILDING, Miami. was erected on one of the most expensive pieces of real estate on Flagler Street. This structure has successfully experienced many storms and hurricanes.

throughout the world and foreign interests once more called for the Eberson ability, notably in the construction of the Rex Theatre on the Boulevard Poissonniere, Paris. This theatre gained the somewhat dubious distinction of being selected by the Nazis as their official theatre during their occupation of France.

Meanwhile, in the United States, many factors came into being which substantially governed necessary changes in theatre design. The 1,000-seat neighborhood house was discovered to be the most adaptable and efiicient, slowing the ex pansion of the previously immense downtown theatres. The growth and widespread use of automobiles necessitated inclusion of parking facilities in architectural plans, and there was no longer

the big money available for large theatre investments.

The taste of the public had also changed in many different ways. The Eberson office grasped the changing trends, and brought forth streamlined, economic designs which were so eagerly accepted that, in a short time, the Ebersons were once again going at full production tilt.

Ornamental plaster was abolished, theatres became modern without being modernistic. Wages of various trades were considered in the architectural designs, resulting in tremendous savings in construction costs. Fabrics were generously applied on auditorium sidewalls and intelligent study of exterior signs and marquees alleviated maintenance and operation costs.

AT THE LEFT is the front of the Tampa Theatre and office building. This was a iireproot structure in Andalusian Spanish design with polychrome terra cotta for its formed embellishment. Below. the stage.

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 23