> > > >

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 234 (223)

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition
1948-49 Theatre Catalog
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 234
Page 234

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 234

Burbidge and his crew daily were busily "tucking" a home under the screenwithout interfering with the theatres operation.

The job was completed, and the Petersons moved in, shortly before Christmas, 1948. Landscaping and some outdoor painting were allowed to wait for the arrival of spring.

Peterson was fortunate in his initial choice of location for the Motor-Vu. It is situated in a natural amphitheatre at 3500 East 33rd South St., Salt Lake City. As originally constructed, it provided parking space for 702 cars on 13 ramps. The Petersons planned to provide space for 12 more cars with opening of the 1949 season.

Motor entrance is from the southfrom 33rd South St., which is a Federal transcontinental highway (US 50) at that point. The theatre is little more than a hundred yards off this .highway, although it carries a 33rd South street number.

The 55x60-foot screen is laid north-tosouth, with the parking area to its east. Because of the natural bowl, the screen base is only eight feet from the ground, yet visibility is provided for the entire l3-ramp layout. As an unusual feature for a drive-in, a stage is constructed with the screen as backdrop. The MotorVu presented a stage show on its opening night, June 7, 1947, and has uSed the stage for tilive" shows several times smce.

The living quarters are so constructed that the living room and two bedrooms extend to the west of the theatre tower,

A VIEW WORTH DOLLARS is obscured by winter snow. but some idea of the modem style of MT. Pelerson's house and the splendor of his moun tain *inw can be gained from this winter scene. 2:


facing west. The screen sits above the kitchen, dining room, cedar-lined storage closet, and sound studio. The utility room, powder room, shop room, and reception room are beneath the stage.

The last four rooms named have 61/;foot ceilings because of their location under the stage. Ceilings in all the other rooms are the standard 8-foot height.

As the east wall of the home fronts the drive-in area, it is a blank wallwindowless. However, a glass door lets sunshine into the reception room at the north end, and a window is provided on the utility room at the south end, so that only the shop room depends solely on artificial light.

The large storage closet approximately in the center of the home is partitioned into a cedar-lined clothes closet, facing west, and a supply storage room, facing east. The latter connects with the shop room and has a stairway leading through a trapdoor into the theatre tower.

The utility room has laundry facilities and at the south end is partitioned off to provide space for electric water heaters. Two large electric water heaters are used, one providing hot water for the house's faucets and the other providing hot water which circulates through radie ators to heat the home. As an unusual and highly effective feature, these radiators are located directly beneath the large picture windows in living room and bedrooms, so that they serve as defrosters for the glass panes as well as heating the rooms. The result is that the windows in the home are dry and clear even in the most severe winter weather.

The kitchen is located directly west of the utility room in the south central portion of the structure-beneath the screen. At its south end is a semicircular

window built on 3-foot radius, in which is a built-in upholstered seat and a breakfast table. Kitchen equipment includes yellow-tiled workbench almost the entire length of one wall, with cabinet space above and below; electric refrigerator, electric range, electric garbage disposal, and electric dishwasher.

Peterson says the home was made allelectric of necessity, because gas lines do not extend to the high benchland where the theatre is located. He has gone hall-out," however, in installing electric appliances-resulting in a great saving in housekeeping effort for Mrs. Peterson.

The dining room is in the center, between kitchen and storage room, but is connected to the living room by an archway to take advantage of the 15-footlong picture window in the west wall of the living room.

Beyond the storage room is the sound studio, equipped with microphones and double-turntable record player to provide before-show and intermission music for the theatre. Carl Peterson, the owner's son, is sound technician and operates this equipment.

All the equipment in this sound studio is duplicated in the theatres projection room, so that the younger Peterson can operate the sound from either location. Broadcasts have been "pipedll to Salt Lake radio stations from this sound studio and the adjoining reception room.

The smaller bedroom is on the southwest corner and has a standard window on the south and a 5-foot 3-inch by 5-foot 9%!inch picture window looking onto the elevated patio which runs the full length of the front (west) wall.

Both this bedroom and the master bedroom similarly arranged on the northwest corner have an unusual feature in their spacious closets. Closet lights are
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 234