> > > >

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 37 (27)

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition
1948-49 Theatre Catalog
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 37
Page 37

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 37

During 1926, another Eberson ttfirst" was added to the long list of Eberson accomplishments through the construction of the Capitol, Flint, Mich., (Photo No. 3) for W. S. Butterfield. This was one of the first, if not the first, theatre in the country to have bowling alleys built into the cellar area. Due to economical planning and special treatment for acoustics and vibration, this proved to be another profitable adjunct to the theatre building.

The same year saw the construction of the Calumet National Bank, Chicago (Photo No. 4). The foundation of this structure is deeper than the building is high because of the treacherous ground upon which it was built. Plans called for caissons and subterranean foundation. Photograph illustrates the lavish use of Travertine marble.

W. S. Butterfieldls State, Kalamazoo, Mich., (Photo No. 5) was one of the first in 1927 to use the Eberson ttAtmospheric" design. This was the era of full stages with fly galleries, and scenic designs leaning on the Mediterranean style.

Also in 1927, Eberson designed and constructed the Capitol, Grand Island, Nebraska, (Photo No. 6). The facade of this particular playhouse indicates the practice in that period of utilizing polychrome terra cotta in combination with native tapestry brick.

And here illustrated is an interesting load test conducted on the balcony of Carl Laemmleis new Uptown, Kansas City, (Photo No. 7), another 1927 achievement. About 37,000 pounds of sand bags were piled in the center of the balcony with a total deflection of 5/16 of one inch, which proved to be more than 10 times the required resistance. The interior of the Uptown (Photo No. 8) shows that the two sides of the auditorium are not alike but are still symmetrical. The richness and elaborateness of this interior against the blue clouded sky ceiling made history in the west for this type of architecture.

The completion of the Central National Bank, Richmond, Va., (Photo No. 9) in 1929, one of that cityls most outstanding structures, again indicates the diversification of ability of the Eberson Organization in designing other types of commercial and monumental structures beside theatres. The interior displays the Showmanship of advanced ideas. The open tellerls counters (Photo No. 10), which are still considered to be the last\\'ord in bank planning, were one of the first to be designed eliminating the old cages and screens.

In 1930, the Paramount, Nashville, Tenn., (Photo No. 11) was completed. The photograph, illustrating a name sign that was bigger than the theatre itself, is typical of that period.

Harry Warner, in 1931, honored Drew Eberson by commissioning him to design and construct the Lewis J. Warner Memorial building at Worcester Academy. Worcester, Mass, (Photos No. 12 and No. 13). This outstanding monument to the memory of Lewis Warner, Harry Warneris son, and presented to the academy by the father, is one of the real achievements of the Eberson Organization. The design received the New England School Award for outstanding

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 37