> > > >

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 39 (29)

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition
1948-49 Theatre Catalog
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 39
Page 39

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 39

18), a house designed for a thickly populated area. Full architectural consideration and study were given to the temperament and taste of the class of people it was designed to serve, and its success is widely known.

A third outstanding 1938 theatre was Schinels Oswego, Oswego, N. Y. (Photo No. 19). The problem of producing an effective front at the lowest possible cost was properly solved by the use of face brick in contrasting colors laid up in a shadow producing pattern. The outer lobby (Photo No. 20) shows built-in display frames, sectional perforated rubber mats, Vermont marble wainscot, inlaid Formica pilasters, and powerful tube cove lighting.

The Lane, Staten Island, N. Y., (Photo No. 21 and No. 22) also went up that year. This house was one of the first to introduce fluorescent murals utilizing black light.

Probably the most outstanding Eberson achievement in 1938 was the erection of the Mellie Esperson building, Houston, Tex. Following the trend of most Eberson clients, the owners of the Neils Esperson building, constructed in 1925, returned to the Eberson office, and awarded the architectural contract to it in connection with further development of their Houston properties. It was a most interesting situation. Times and methods had changed, and with them styles of architecture, so that the Mellie Esperson building (Photo No. 23) as the photograph shows, adjoining the Neils Esperson building, is a perfect example of the changes during that 15vyear period. Given the problem of creating a building whose design must carefully analyze cost, function, air conditioning, elevators, and other mechanical devices, the Ebersons brought into being in record time a building which is well known to be one of the first fully air conditioned office buildings, and one of the most practical even today. Plans utilized the property to the fullest extent in obtaining rentable area, and the certified cost was within an extremely low budget.

The opening of the Newsreel, Newark, N. J;, (Photo No. 24) in 1938 displayed an unusual canopy with running borders, neon tubes, sparkling and fiashing name sign, and plastic changeable letters for the first time in the east.

MUN ,, mum: n :3 ts mi,

illililuti:g .51155E 3 renews II 311:1

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 39