> > > >

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 40 (30)

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition
1948-49 Theatre Catalog
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 40
Page 40

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 40

Following that, in the same year, came the opening of the Auburn, Auburn, N. Y., (Photo No. 25), which was among the first to use washable wallpaper and a modest amount of living room furniture to create an atmosphere of homelike comfort. The establishment of the neighborhood theatre was an accepted fact through 1938-39, and their number continued to grow and expand into ever widening areas.

The Playhouse, Ridgefield, Conn., (Photo No. 26) built in 1939, is perhaps the most architecturally correct design for its locale of any theatre ever built. Situated in a residental community of mainly Colonial architecture, it faithfully followed that style without losing its theatrical identity.

In 1939, the Eberson Organization was commissioned by Sheikh Mustafa Al Ibrahim, the representative of King Feisal of Iraq, to design and construct the well-known exhibit building of the government of Iraq at the New Yorkts World Fair (Photo No. 27). All the bright colors of the Orient and all the mystic motifs of Arabian culture were combined with true fidelity in Byzantine style, with a functional building that easily handled the heavy resultant traiiic.

In 1940, the Eberson-designed and constructed Highland, Washington, D. C., (Photo No. 28) was a leader in the utilization of a Very unusual combination of structural glass and brick.

In 1941, before the start of World War II, one of the most compact theatre designs was constructed by the Ebersons at a record low cost. This was the Cohoes, Cohoes, N. Y., (Photo No. 29). The Central, Passaic, N. J., (Photo No. 30) was another house erected in 1941 prior to the war.

Shortly after Pearl Harbor, restrictions were placed on theatre construction. During the early war period, the firm of John and Drew Eberson carried on, designing military projects such as a 1500-bed hospital in Brentwood, L. I. John Eberson then became a member of the War Production Board, while Drew Eberson served as a colonel in the Corps of Engineers. Included in most military camp programs at that time were theatres and other entertainment facilities for soldiers and sailors. Colonel Eberson supervised the construction of 30 such theatres. The photographs show two views of a theatre at Camp Shanks,

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 40