> > > >

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 41 (31)

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition
1948-49 Theatre Catalog
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 41
Page 41

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 41

Orangeburg, N. J., (Photos No. 31 and No. 32).

When the war ended, another era of theatre construction was entered after the final lifting of the construction ban. In 1946, the Ebersons completed the Anacostia, Washington, D. C. (No. 33).

In 1947, the Virginia, Alexandria, Va., one of the most up-toedate houses in the south, was erected. The photograph shows the facade, from which can be noted the unusual neon trimmed upright sign executed in stainless steel and enameled iron. The front (Photo No. 34) is cast stone; the doors and box ofiice are executed in inlaid Formica, and the marquee facing and ceiling are a combination of stainless steel and enameled iron. The foyer View (Photo No. 35) shows the positioning of the ladies and menis lounge rooms, the candy counter, and the dramatic Formica doors. From the interior photo (Photo No. 36) can be seen the plaster valance over the stage opening. Black light is judiciously used in the proscenium, while mural panels and shovel lights facing the stage and sidewalls complete a balanced scheme. The ceiling features interesting plain ring steppings. The lobby (Photo No. 37) is dressed in rust red Vermont marble sidewalls, American black and green marble base, a ceramic tile Hoor, and Formica doors. Its ceiling fixtures are a combination of fluted glass and stainless steel, with no exposed lamps.

One of the latest Eberson designed theatres is the Coral, Bradbury Heights, Md., (Photo No. 38) which opened in 1948 in connection with a large shopping center. This modern theatre features an interesting full stone facade with unusual sign work. Note the terrazzo mosaic multi-colored panel depicting coral and sea life which dominates the left front. The house has a stainless steel canopy with enameled metal ceiling and Formica inlaid indoors.

The Milford, Milford, Del., (Photo No. 39) is one of the finest and largest theatres built in 1948. It was a replacement of a iire loss, and to show the patrons of the locale the faith the exhibitor had in their future, the theatre was designed to take into consideration an expansion of the population, and was the very latest in modern treatment. Particular emphasis was placed on what 18 perhaps the finest current installation of refreshment facilities, a full soda bar and an unusual candy display.

The Orfeon Theatre, Mexico City (Photos No. 40 and 41), is a 3200-seat house built for Operadora de Teatros, Mexico, D.F. in late 1947. This huge edifice opened its doors in February of 1948 and is considered one of the finest deSlgns ever created by the Eberson, S.A. office. The interior displays modern lines for effective streamlining. The massive looking front is brilliantly lighted by the long marquee and neon tubed name sign. Thls is one of the latest structures comPleted by the Ebersonis, who are exPanding their activities with gargantuan strides.

With such a vast amount of experience and record of accomplishment the Eberson organization energetically looks forward to playing an important part in the future of theatre designameeting the unknown problems of the future.


1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 41