> > > >

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 67 (56)

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition
1948-49 Theatre Catalog
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 67
Page 67

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 67




The Molalla Theatre, Molalla, Oregon, which opened during the early part of last year, is another of several increasingly popular quonset designs. This new house, under the ownership of the Molalla Amusement Company, combines the use of Motiograph-Western Electric sound with Motiograph AA projectors,

Kollmorgan lenses, Robin-Imperial motor generator, and Motiograph high intensity lamps. The Datone screen measuring 13 feet and six inches by 18 feet, is set off by moderne damask stage curtains and grande velour valance and aisle heads. The foyer of the Molalla utilizes a plaster ceiling with walls of

poplar plywaod and indirect neon lighting. Rest rooms are carried out with tile fioors and walls and plaster ceiling. A sumnieiuwinter heating and cooling installation asures comfortable indoor temperatures at all times. The heating unit is oil-fired while the air conditioning system is water cooled.

THE AUDITORIUM ot the Molalla displays the tasteiul utilization of different shades o! acoustical tile and masonite wainscots. Heywood-Wakefield selt rising Encore chairs. Karagheusian Ridgeiield grade carpets. year-round air conditioning, and indirect lighting complete the features ot this house.

FRONT OF THE MOLALLA is a separate one-story high building containing the entrance rooms and one 16 x 22 toot store. Set well ahead oi the allsteel portion, a stepped wall setback creates an artificial square design. Wagner letters dress a tidy small marquee. The store is at the right.


Another theatre, the Star, South Hill, Virginia, owned and operated by Chris W. Geoghegan, opened its doors on February 16, 1948. A reinforced quonset, it was built in a neighborhood shopping district serving the counties of Mecklenburg, Lunenberg, and Brunswick. A 520seat house, the Star is another venture on the part of Geoghegan who has oper ated the Colonial here for the past 15 years. Lobby, foyer, lounge, and toilet rooms are carried out with asphalt tile iioors in cream and brown. All woodwork is trimmed in green with a four foot brown base and the remaining walls and ceilings in buff. To the rear of the auditorium, cry rooms have been provided for infants that inadvertently spoil

the show for other theatre patrons. This innovation, comparatively new in that area, has become a tremendous factor toward the enhancement of patron goodwill. The Star was constructed in little more than 60 working days, and all equipment, except the air conditioning, was the RCA line sold in that area by Elmer H. Brient and Sons.

BEIGE COLORED structural glass with wine stripes face the front of the Star beneath the canopy. The canopy is trimmed with stainless steel and the walls above are in a cream plaster trimmed with terra cotta. Note that the small marquee may be serviced from the canopy through a door to the letter storage room, a very handy innovation.

THE AUDITORIUM of the Star is decorated in tour shades 0! blue on walls and ceilings. maroon and gold stage drapes. gold from curtain, red and yellow carpets. and blue, cream. and maroon seats. U. S. Air Conditioning washers with a grill on either side at the stage insure comfortable temperatures. Other patron tacilities utilize the latest in modern equipment.

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 67