> > > >

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 68 (57)

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition
1948-49 Theatre Catalog
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 68
Page 68

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 68

Studios of Radio Station WBAL, Baltimore

Theatrevs Influence on Radio Architecture Emphasizes the Kinship between Industries

As broadcasting in general and, since the fall of 1926, the National Broadcasting Company, Inc., in particular, has developed, radio stations have, as the techniques of the industry have advanced, swung to the philosophy of strong local stations, outlets which are dominant in their own right as well as by virtue of the high-powered#and high priced - entertainment piped in over the leased wires of "a national network.

Thus became essential the creation of modern studios, of suspended, vibrationless construction and acoustically treated to give the proper tonal qualities to the originating program. And the trend, set by the progressive stations, has developed into a must for those looking forward to the time when the same facilities will be used in frequency-modulation (FM) broadcasting and television.

Throughout the development of new and better studio facilities, the radio industry, with its scientists and engineers, has borrowed generously from the American motion-picture theatre, using some of the cinemais developments in status quo and adapting other ad THE NEW BUILDING for the studios and offices of WBAL. on upper Charles Street in the City of Baltimore, shows, by night or day, many points of from the back-lighted, vertically-arranged call letters on the facade, to the real theatre-style

kinship with the modern motion-picture theatre,


vances to specialized use.

Thus it is that there is here presented in these pagesewith permission and cooperation of Harold C. Burke, the stations managerea review of some of the more theatrical features, done in pictures by George R, Wikle, official photographer of the Jay Emanuel Publications, Inc.


It is probably of more significance than mere coincidence that the new studios and offices of Radio Station WBAL in Baltimore should make their public entrance into the civic life of the Monument City on Labor Day 1947 for, early in those post-war days, construction of any type has involved considerable sweat and toil, and very possibly not a few tears. .

But whatever were the vicissitudes of travail, the Hearst Radio, Inc., has settled into the routine of broadcasting over the statiorfs 1,090 kilocyclesnwith 50,000 watts power-the full-time schedule of entertainment and public-service programs, or its origination as well as


of the National Broadcasting Company.

While WBAL presently broadcasts only on its assigned amplitude-modulation frequency, the future has been anticipated, and in this second radio showplace* all necessary wiring and facilities have been incorporated to handle both FM broadcasts and television, with one studio reserved for the exclusive use of sight-and-sound programs.

The Studios

To handle all types and sizes of programs, with and without studio audiences, eight studios have been provided: four on the first and four on the second floor,

Studio A and Studio B, are twins in design and side by side at the rear of the first door. While of a sufficient size that a small audience might be accommodated, it will be rare, indeed, that such will happen; for, as in many another radio station, the frequently recurring

tThe first: WFBR, opened in June, 1939, and pictured, in conjunction with the Centre Theatre, in the 1940 edition (pages 75 through '78) of this publication.

Studio B that so emulates the cinema that the latest Push-Back chairs have been installed for the comfort of the studio's audiences. Just as radio has borrowed from the cinema, and adapted its borrowings to its own purposes, so the theatre may draw many an idea from radio broadcasting studios.
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 68