> > > >

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 71 (60)

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition
1948-49 Theatre Catalog
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 71
Page 71

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 71

THE MASTER CONTROL ROOM, with R. L. Duncan, chief engineer, here riding gain on an incoming NBC program, is the heart of the radio station. Here are received all programs-ot studio, nemo, or network origin-and channeled to the transmitter. The master-control engineer can also be his

shall have added the ttTVli to the stationis call letters.

However, television is not restricted to this special studio, for both Studio E (the air theatre) and Studio F (the modernistic one) are wired for video and audio pickups.

Rest of the Building

In the studios, of course, are found those attributes that stem from theatre design, but the entire establishment sparkles with touches of smart show THE MASTER CONTROL ROOM, with h. L. Duncan, chief engineer, here and equipped in keeping with the modern iunctionalism oi the entire building. The oftice, as throughout the building, is fluorescent-lighted, with fixtures set flush in the ceiling which is tinished in perforated Transite.


Dominating the facade is the white stone central portion, nanked by face brick laid similar to that of the structure on the south side. Set out from the white panel are the stations call letters. Being back-lighted, at night the letters stand out in quasi-silhouette from a brilliant spot of light. Over the metal-framed door is a stylized symbol representing the broadcasting industry.

The second-floor promenade combines the features of a foyer, standee space,

own disk jockey and use the dual turn tables for electrical transcriptions (33-1/3 rpm.) or records (78 rpm.) as the occasion arises. The single pickup arm can be used on vertically- or laterally-cut transcriptions. While the design and wiring is strictly WBAL, the equipment is all RCA.

and lounge, furnished in modern good taste for old-fashioned comfort for those who call on business or await the time when Studio E is opened take an audience. Off this area are the ladies' and menis rooms, the audition room, and Studio F, as Well as the station managers office, and the short corridor leading to the air theatre.

Part of the mechanical equipment is located on the upper doors, while the balance is in the basement where, also, are musicians and staff membersi rooms.

THE PBOMENADE on the second floor, is designed to blend characteristics of lobby, standee space, and lounge, where business callers or sightseers (the studio has conducted tours) or audiences-to-be can relax in comfort. Toilet lacilities are through the doors at the picture's right.

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 71