> > > >

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 76 (65)

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition
1948-49 Theatre Catalog
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 76
Page 76

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 76

A Review of Recent Theatre Construction

Pictorially Surveying the Design and Structural

Trends in New Theatres Opened During the Past Year

In accordance with the practice first inaugurated by THEATRE CATALOG with the Edition of 1940, careful check has been kept, since the form closing date of the preceding volume, on all new theatre construction that has taken place both at home and abroad, so that a representative sample could be recorded each year, pictorially and in great detail. Through this process, and through the cooperation and advice of leading theatre architects, territorial supply dealers, and its own field organization,

this publication has been able to bring to the attention of the industry as a whole, many new innovations in design, decoration and patron comfort long before they were generally accepted in more than a small neighboring area.

This practice continues in the pages that immediately follow.

The 27 orthodox roofed theatres, and the eight drive-ins, which are here presented, result from the analysis and elimination of nearly 200 theatres con sidered. Many of the theatres so analyzed were the equal, and in some cases were superior, to the following; but all of those recorded here, had some one factor of design, method, problem, solution or economy which seemed, in the judgment of the editors, to warrant special attention.

Built under all manner of conditions of climate, available materials, high costs and functional needs, it is believed that the following provides a true crosssection of the yearis progress.

In the heart of the shopping district of this Latin-American metropolis is a 20-year-old building of steel and concrete which presented 10,000 square feet of useable theatre space. Back in July, 1938, Vives & 00., S. L., the owners and operators, constructed in this area the 650-seat Rex which played successfully a policy of newsreels and short subjects to a medium and high-class patronage. So successfully, in fact, that it was decided to expand.

Faced with the problem of space availability, Architect Luis Bonich and Designer, Manolo Alvarez designed the 530-seat Duplex, which opened in late 1947, and which cleverly shares the lobby and service rooms of its neighboring brother.

THE RICHNESS OF MARBLE. terrazzo. Formica and etched glass doors flanked by separate box


The Rex and Duplex (Twin Theatres)

Havana, Cuba

Adaptation of the available space represents an investment of over $200,000.00 plus another $100,000.00 for equipment and air conditioning.

The materials and furnishings used in both theatres are rich and modern. The facade is gray Georgia marble and light green Carrara glass. The lobby is resplendent in Realwood Formica, mirrors, terrazzo iioors and colored indirect

ottices. receives a theatrical litt item the large lighted clock dial that is so convenient to news

lighting. The separate foyers and the lounge rooms follow the same pattern of luxury and modern charm.

Each auditorium is as distinct and diiferent in decorative scheme and picture setting as in dimensions. Each, in its own way, possesses a character that is drawn together and accented by the siamese joint of the lobby.

reel theatre patrons At right is a plot plan that shows the manner in which twin auditorium: tit.

- vssnaute ' :


/,.-- To


-1 N [0.3V
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 76