> > > >

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 97 (86)

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition
1948-49 Theatre Catalog
1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 97
Page 97

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 97

The Fairview V Fairview Village (Cleveland), Ohio

As an important part of a huge shopping center of 50 stores on two arcades extending from Lorain Avenue to a large parking area in the rear, the 1800-seat Fairviewis an impressive example of postwar design and construction materials.

Fairview Village is a residential suburb of Cleveland, Ohio and only 10 miles from that cityls Public Square, so that everything relating to the development needed to be in accord with the best in patron demands.

Designed by the Cleveland architectural firm of Fox and Fox for veteran exhibitor Meyer Fine and associates, the Fairview took nearly two years to complete in the face of materials shortages; but shows the results of the large investment and great attention to detail. Luxury is the keynote of both design and appointments. Everything is on a large scale. 90 feet back from the street in a 300-car parking well and with another 1500-car parking area to the rear, there is a car space for every patron. The huge, impressively lighted marquee tops a generous outer lobby in which is centered an octagonal dual boxofl'lce. Nine full-length, structural glass doors with chromium hardware, lead to an equally generous carpeted inner lobby with simulated marble and mirrored walls, and thence to the strikingly effective foyer.

The 90 feet wide by 200 feet deep audi

torium necessary to such a large seating capacity on one fioor is scaled to an effect of intimate grandeur through the use of large baroque ornamentation and


OWNER: Sepper Development Co.

OPERATOR: Fairview Theatre Co. & Associated Theatres.

ARCHITECTS: George & Henry W. Fox, Cleveland, Ohio.


COST OF BUILDING: approx. $500,000. COST OF EQUIPMENT (including air conditioning): $150,000.

CARPETS: by Thomas L. Leedom Co. CHAIRS: Bodiform, by American Seating Co.

CHANGEOVERS: by Weaver Mfg. Co. COINCHANGER: by Johnson Fare Box. DECORATOR: Novelty Scenic Studios.

DISPLAY FRAMES: itSealuxe", by Universal Corp.

DRAPERIES & STAGE CURTAINS: Novelty Scenic Studios, Inc. GENERATORS: by Hertner Electric Co. LENSES: Super Lite treated, by Projection Optics Co., Inc. '

LIGHTING FIXTURES: Cathode and neon, by Brilliant Electric Signs, Inc. PROJECTION LAMPS: Peerless Magnarc, by J. E. McAuley Mfg. Co. PROJECTION MACHINES: Simplex E-7, by International Projector Corp. SCREEN: Walker Plastic Molded, by Walker-American Corp.

SIGN & MARQUEE: by Whiteway Service, Inc.

SIGN LETTERS: Bevelite, by Theatre Specialties, Inc.

SOUND: Simplex 4 star, by International Projector Corp.

SUPPLY DEALER: National Theatre Supply Co.

TICKET ISSUING MACHINE: Automaticket, by General Register Corp. TICKET CHOPPER: by GoldE Mfg. Co.

an oversized draped proscenium. From the fabric sidewalls to the overupholstered chairs, the effect is of luxury and spacious comfort.

GOLD-BEADED NAILS stud leatherette door: in a rich quilted ettect. Deep pile. wall to wall car at: in gray. green and red. and limulated marble walls bring into contrast the large advertlling dllp ay.

1948-49 Theatre Catalog, 7th Edition, Page 97