> > > >

1952 Theatre Catalog, 10th Edition, Page 390 (352)

1952 Theatre Catalog, 10th Edition
1952 Theatre Catalog
1952 Theatre Catalog, 10th Edition, Page 390
Page 390

1952 Theatre Catalog, 10th Edition, Page 390

Head Othce Bulletins

It is to be hoped the tw0 types of bulletins distributed by this company are giving the intended results to the recipients. The purpose behind these bulletins is to make managers, and attendants, conscious of the importance of confectionery sales to their theatre.

The colorful monthly bulletins feature sales reminders to familiarize everyone with items which may have been forgotten. The Sweet Sheet is a bulletin advising of price changes, new lines to be handled, contest award winners, among many other items. The Sweet Sheet, therefore, becomes an authoritive reference. Consequently, if price changes occur, only on advice through this medium, or direct advice from the branch manager, are adjustments to be made regardless of direction from salesmen or competitors.

Sales Contests

In the past, several contests have been run by this company with considerable response and success. It has been our policy to have between four and six contests a year to distribute sizeable amounts of cash. Most contests have been to promote a particular item, or to create a further interest at the candy counter.

A monthly contest continues to exist for the best merchandising suggestion received from managers throughout the country. The prize for suggestions of this nature is generally merchandise of considerable value.

Purchasing Policy

The ordering of any great quantity of merchandise has always been complex, if an efficient and profitable system is to exist. However, through the co

operation of theatre management this company has been able to establish a reasonable control in an efficient manner.

Our ordering is done primarily between two systems, one through branch warehouses, the other direct with manufacturersy representatives.

Theatres ordering through our warehouses do so by completing our Theatre Weekly Order Form requesting varieties of candy, cigarettes, corn, popcorn boxes, salt, seasoning, and soft drink cups. Orders are then approved, packed, and shipped by our respective branches.

Orders for drop shipments are confined to candy items only and are placed with representatives of various manufacturers. When these orders are obtained the salesman forwards them to the branch manager in the territory for approval. After approval, they are returned to the manufacturer, or agent, for direct shipment from their factory or warehouse.

Our purpose in doing this is to relieve the burden on limited warehouse and shipping facilities. It also assists this company to curtail delivery expenditures, thereby allowing us to maintain the present rate of candy discount.

The proper function of ordering confectionery is a most important one and requires constant and rigid control. Despite the extensive variety of candy available, it is surprising to find the minority as being the most popular. In other words, if a manufacturer produces ten lines he is doing exceptionally well if he has four very popular items. The chain store theory of ttSelling the Sellersf therefore, becomes a factor of extreme importance to a buyer, particularly if he is dealing with numerous suppliers. Further to this point, it might be interesting to note the results of a

national survey recently completed divulging information that 65 percent of the public throughout Canada preferred bars from only three manufacturers. The remaining companies comprised the other 35 percent, thereby confirming our theory of handling items demanding a volume turnover. No doubt a similar situation exists in the United States.

Theatre Inventory

The normal confectionery inventory of theatres within close proximity of Theatre Confections Limited warehouses should not be more than two or three weeks supply. Others, depending on the distance from the branch warehouse, should carry between three to five weeks stock. This does not necessarily mean three weeks stock of each line, but three weeks stock in dollar volume.

Every effort should be made toward ordering merchandise in case lots if traffic permits. Orders placed with salesmen should be for authorized lines only.

It is highly recommended each manager should establish a schedule for ordering stock. If this is done, and carried. out, it should eliminate the necessity of emergency shipments. Although immediate action is taken on such requests their repetition from the same outlets indicate a lack of system, or negligence by the responsible party.


Much has been said about the storing of foodstuffs in both wholesale and


candy counter except those of the originality and

ingenuity of the treatreman. himself. Additional

profits are sure to result from the time and thought given to such planning.


1952 Theatre Catalog, 10th Edition, Page 390