> > > >

1952 Theatre Catalog, 10th Edition, Page 42 (8)

1952 Theatre Catalog, 10th Edition
1952 Theatre Catalog
1952 Theatre Catalog, 10th Edition, Page 42
Page 42

1952 Theatre Catalog, 10th Edition, Page 42

AN UNUSUAL ARCH features the small. 534-seat Oasis. Sao Paulo. It replaced a shop on the main floor of a large luxury apartment house.

construction of its auditorium, which gives the theatre a quonset appearance, and for its American-type marquee. The large marquee, running the full Width of the theatre front and overhanging the pavement, and designed in the conventional America style of a decade ago, appears rarely among the new Brazilian

theatres, that at the Oasis being one of these departures from the usual trend.

Other newly built 8510 Paulo theatres include the 800-seat Itamarati and the 1,150-seat Sio Bernardo, both in the center of the city; the 1,901-seat Jupiter and the 1,393-seat Goias, both in neighborhood shopping districts, and the

THE REMODELED RE-PUBLlCA, Sao Paulo. seats 2400 on a single floor, and specializes on repeat runs at outstanding pictures. Its main business district location gives it many advantages.

RECENTLY REMODELED. the Iussara. Sao Paulo, has a most unusual and dramatic indirectly lighted changeable letter marquee worthy of note.

1,800-seat Primax, located in the industrial section of the city, near the parts and assembly plants of Ford and General Motors.

Equipment of the Itamarati includes Kalee projection and sound systems, while the 85.0 Bernardo, Jupiter, and Goias have Century C projection machines and Westrex Advanced sound systems, and the Primax has Ernon and Zeiss-Ikon projection equipment and Westrex sound.

While there has been a boom in the construction of new theatres in $50 Paulo, there has also been considerable activity in modernizing the old houses and expanding their seating capacities to accommodate increasing patronage.

Opened in April of this year in the main business district was the Reptiblica, which was one of the cityls oldest theatrcs until 1936, when it was converted into a state sales tax collection office. Reconversion to theatre use was begun in 1951, and the rejuvenated Republich is now numbered among S310 Paulols finest houses.

The upper facade is faced with grey cement, and a red lattice pattern forms the background for the name of the theatre, formed bylindlvidual neon letters, while the lower part of the front has grey stone facing, a wood-paneled boxofiicc, and three sets of large glass

1952 Theatre Catalog, 10th Edition, Page 42