> > > >

1954-55 Theatre Catalog, 12th Edition, Page 150 (116)

1954-55 Theatre Catalog, 12th Edition
1954-55 Theatre Catalog
1954-55 Theatre Catalog, 12th Edition, Page 150
Page 150

1954-55 Theatre Catalog, 12th Edition, Page 150

Screen Tower

The screen tower, for 20 feet above natural ground, is constructed of reinforced concrete columns, and the beams above this level are of structural steel. The screen surface itself is of 6 by 6 by 12 inch cinder blocks. The first door of the screen tower houses the warehouse; the second iioor holds the office, and two more doors could be added for offices or an apartment. The back and sides of the screen tower are faced off with corrugated sheeting.

The Ticket Booth is of glass brick construction, and is located on the back end of the theatre.

This theatre is unique insofar as entrance and exit are in the rear rather than the front of the theatre, due to the general layout of the land. The entire enclosure is fenced with zinc corrugated roofing, with exotic tropical plants growing in profusion around the inside walls. The slopes are landscaped and sodded, both for beauty and to hold the slopes during rainy season.

Snack Bar

The Snack Bar building is '75 by 25 feet, with a patio in front extending out 16 by 50 feet. The patio is wonderful for the soft tropical nights and it is furnished with comfortable chairs that will seat 60 people. The customers like to sit on the patio while theyire munching their hot dogs or hamburgers, or fried chicken, for they have no fear of getting food on the car cushions, and can watch the show at the same time. This is also good for the families with small children who get tired if confined in a car for too long a time.

The Snack Bar building also houses the projection booth. The owners are justly proud of this building, for it is

of a beautiful and unique design. The back wall and complete counter are of stainless steel, and all of the equipment is new and modern. The counter is a straight one, running from wall to wall, and is 39 feet long. The whole front of the building consists of three huge plate glass picture windows, with two sliding doors furnishing the opening between them onto the patio. These doors are slid in front of the projection booth during show time, and it was necessary to cut only one square npeep hole" for the projector operator. The three interior walls are painted in soft glowing shades of green and brown. The lower walls and floor are all of tile, as is also the case in all other parts of the building, rest rooms, fioor of the patio, halls, etc. This building is also built of concrete blocks, and the decorating was done by the contractor and managers; ' The opening of this Bar made American hearts happy, for it is the first place in Panama that one has been able to get a real, good, American-style hamburger or hot dog, and the sales on these items are terrific. It has become an established custom now for many families to come to the Auto-Cine around 4:00 pm. in the afternoon on Sundays to let the children run wild in the playground which is located on a beautiful grassy lot just below and in front of the screen, and which is equipped with swings, slides, and jungle gyms. This gives the older folks an opportunity to gather on the patio where they can keep a sharp eye on the 2small fryf and still have ample leisure to catch up on the gossip and have a beer

SNACK bur building is 75 by 25 ieel, and it has patio furnished to accommodate some 60 persons. Projection booth is also in the building.

or coke before show time. About six, the

' kids are rounded up, and the family has

Sunday dinner, still on the patio, and all are set for the movie when it starts at 6:45 p.111. For this reason, the theatre is opened at 3:00 p.111. on Sundays. Also, for those who dont wish to leave their cars, attendants are provided, with instantaneous service being the trade mark of the place. These attendants are summoned by a light on the speaker, which is operated by a switch, also on the speaker. The speakers are furnished by Westrex-Electric, and the light on the speaker is a fairly recent innovation.


Projection change-over was standard procedure and we endured no difiiculties in this respect other than a few mechanical details. We report only on the screen surfacing and elimination of the so-called checker board.

Our original screen surface was noths ing more than cinder blocks 6 by 12 inches laid to an even surface with no plaster or special covering, painted with a regular Bondex fiat white paint. Distance of projection is 242 feet and picture size is 54 by 40 feet. For texture and light, we believe our screen was perfect for the flat pictures. Our complete change-over to 3-D was accomplished without the loss of a single regular showing (two nightly).

Given below is each step of our experiments, with their corresponding results: Step IeWednesday, April 8:

Having the projection equipment rigged we were able to obtain a 3-D print for a preliminary test on our existing flat white screen. This step was taken since we wanted to find out if the screen had to be repainted. As can be seen by this, we were really starting from


----.----$- 3," mam unv-4 rm
1954-55 Theatre Catalog, 12th Edition, Page 150